Thursday, April 15, 2010

Good Morning, Biopsy


Today has felt like such a long day. My sister Casandra came this morning to help me since I had my bone marrow biopsy procedure. My appointment was bright an early at 8:30 and of course, we got out of the house late...then traffic. So I was about 20 minutes late to my appointment. We decided to take Presley along since we were going to try and get her blood work done too. I guess I should explain why she needs blood work. I didn't even really want to talk about this but I guess I will. Obviously, I had cancer during my pregnancy and like any mother would be, I am concerned about how that may have affected my daughter. I spoke with my oncologist last week and he said not to worry about it and that it would be extremely unlikely to the point where it would be 'reportable' if something like that were ever to happen. I guess the only cases they have found cancer to pass to the child would be in a mother who had extreme melanoma all over her body during pregnancy. Either way, I just wanted peace of mind. So I expressed my feelings to my pediatrician and to ease my worries she said I could take her for CBC. So that's why I was going to get her blood work done. Now back to my appointment, the bone marrow biopsy. Not as bad as you might think, pain wise. Mentally, it's pretty bad. For me it was the anticipation. So they do the procedure in the office and takes no more than 20 minutes. At first they tell me to lay on my stomach and I have to fold my jeans down just enough to where they can get to the top part of my hip bone. They clean it off with Iodine and give my Lidocaine to numb the area. The pain really wasn't that bad except for when they were extracting the marrow. Even that was just a quick shooting pain and then it was over. The absolute worst part is when they are putting the needle in and pulling it out. They have to put two different needles in at two different times. To me it was just more of a psychological thing than pain because you can feel them trying to get the needle into the bone and all you have is your imagination to wonder whats going on behind your back! All I can say is that if you ever have to get one done DO NOT watch the YouTube video on it being done first. I just watched one and it's much better not to have a visual until after it is done. All in all not bad but I guess compared to labor pains nothing is... just another way Presley has been a blessing in all this! I'm just glad it is over. They said it will take a few days to get results and I am just having faith that this will all be fine. I am so tired right now and Presley is sitting here on my chest sleeping while I'm writing. I think I will join her! It's been a long day and I will sleep well tonight knowing it's all behind me. Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sienna,
    I just want to let you know that I can't believe how positive your being through all this.
    I love you and I feel so blessed to be able to read your experiences and thoughts through this whole process. I'm so thankful you started this blog. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete